Better living through chemistry…Or not

Over the past year or so I have been having trouble staying asleep at night. At first it was no big deal, five or six hours a night was not as much as I wanted but it was what I got so I dealt with it. Then it started going to two to four hours a night. That was a problem. I spoke to a health provider about the problem and she gave me a pill.

We did not explore why I was not getting any sleep we just went straight for the pills. First script did nothing. I tried it as she said with increasing doses until I got a good night’s sleep. Never happened, so she gave me another med. Same thing start out low work my way up until I could sleep. At the max level I started sleeping through the night. It was great I felt good the first couple of days. Then on the third day of taking the new med at the max level something strange happened. I got mad. I got real mad. I was filled with rage about nothing and everything.

Now being someone with ADHD I have always had trouble dealing with controlling my compulsions. Suddenly it was almost impossible and the compulsions where, shall we say much darker. I didn’t think much about it. I took my meds and went to sleep that night. I slept great. I woke up mad as hell. At this point I figured it was time to call the Doc because this was not normal. Doc said to stop taking the meds and come see her the following day. So I took off work went and got some tests done and we tried another med.

New day new med, I took the new, new med that night and guess what I slept great. I woke up feeling pretty foggy. Like my head was stuffed with cotton or something. I was not mad but I did not care about much of anything. The fights that I had started with my wife while on the Captain Insano kick continued. Come Thursday morning I was pretty much stoned as I could be; only it was not a happy fun kind of feeling. Come Friday morning after another dose of meds and a good night’s sleep I was out of control. I could barely walk much less drive a car. Unfortunately I was behind the wheel when I realized how messed up I really was. I turned around got home contacted the docs office and went to bed. I slept off and on for the next 24 hours. It was not until Saturday morning that I started to come close to feeling normal.

Needless to say I think I will be fine being tired for the time being. I missed two days of work and damn near cost myself my marriage. All over bad reactions to meds, over a problem we still do not know the cause. It seems that in most things anymore we no longer look for the reason for a problem we just click the symptom box and apply drug. If symptoms persist try another drug, continue throwing pills at problem until patient is cured or dead.


Tags: , , , , , , , ,

About wyldewoody

I am a scholar and a preacher. I am a father, husband and friend. I have served my country and cussed my government and will continue to do both. I enjoy writing and you never know what you might find here in my posts. I will write about everything from my biblical opinion to scientific musings potentially bad stories to editorials about public policy and international affairs. I suppose that is blogging in general, if you like it great, if you don’t go somewhere else, if you disagree with me, great I love a good discussion. Hell might just find me ranting to the shadows in the corner. Kinda like I think I am doing now. And if my punctuation irritates you, that makes me happy.

One response to “Better living through chemistry…Or not”

  1. AR Neal says :

    Yikes! Glad you are safe! Take care of yourself…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: